How to select a topic
Use these databases to explore careers and companies.
Each of these cluster in industries, such as Health, Retail, or Energy. Browse a while. Then choose an occupation, a company or both.
Next, use the next tab to find specific information from ARTICLES in magazines, journals, and newspapers.
Sample Occupation page
Choose an OCCUPATION to research
- Click Occupations (in the left column).
- Click the Clusters tab (at top).
- Click an industry--to see a list of related occupations.
- Example: Marketing
- Now click an occupation.
- Example: Public Relations Specialist
See image at left
- Explore the list of links in the left column.
- The Overview is displayed. Take a look.
- The next ten links relate to the requirements for success in this occupation.
- Check Wages
- Check Employment Outlook.
- Tip: beneath the table, click View Number Version
- Check Real World Interviews and Videos (if they are included)
Choose a COMPANY to research
(This link is configured to search U.S. companies that are traded on a stock market. This is a small subset of all the companies in the U.S., but these companies are easier to research.)
- Use Manta.com to explore companies working in various industries.
- In the All Industries box, click an industry.
- A list of companies appears.
- Scroll down to the Browse Subcategories box or the Browse States box.
- Click a Subcategory or a State (such as Arizona).
- Finally, click on a company link.
- What can you find out about this company?
- What does it do? What industry is it in?
- Get the company's official name.
- Get its stock symbol (in green, near the top).
- Get its NAICS code (scroll down)
- Bookmark (or Add to Favorites) this web page for later use.